The word is out! As mentioned on my Instagram, I’m on the hunt to find the BEST RAMEN IN DENVER. My self-appointed panel of one will slurp through countless bowls of noodles and broths and judge each one in search of the top bowl in the Denver area (open to Boulder restaurants as well)! I’ll be updating this post with individual reviews and ever-changing rankings as I hit all the potential winners on my list.
Be sure to follow along with my ramen adventures on Instagram by checking out #bestramendenver.
I know that ramen preference is a very personal thing and ramen bowls really differ in broth weight, flavor, and ingredients. So you can judge if my ramen preferences match your own, I’ll tell you that I prefer the taste of kotteri ramen made with a slightly garlicky chicken broth base (for more on how to classify ramen styles, see this excellent breakdown on Serious Eats) so most of the ramen I will be judged with that flavor profile in mind.
Below is a list of the places I’ve tried and the places I plan on reviewing. If you have a hot tip on a place I should consider as part of this public service project, please drop your recommendations in the comments. Also, if you have your own thoughts on the rankings, leave that feedback in the comments as well!
Each bowl will be judged against the following criteria:
- Broth flavor – 1-8 points
- Protein quality – 1-5 points
- Noodle quality – 1-5 points
- Other ingredients – 1-4 points
- Presentation – 1-3 points
The highest potential score is 25 points.
- Mizu Izakaya – 23 points (Tonkotsu Ramen review – $16)
- (TIE) Uncle – 22 points (Spicy Chicken review – $14); Izakaya Ronin – 22 points (Lanman Tonkotsu Ramen – $10)
- Gaijin – 17 points (Miso Ramen review – $14)
- Ace Eat Serve – 14 (Tonkotsu Ramen review – $7 happy hour, $14 regular menu)
- Sakura House – 13 points (Tonkotsu Ramen review – $9.75)
Ranking to Come
- Chimera (Chimera Ramen – $15)
- Corner Ramen (Creamy Spicy Chicken Ramen – $14)
- Menya Noodle Bar (Spicy Chicken Men – $11.50)
- Sera’s Ramen Enclave (Sesame Pork Belly Ramen – $14)
- Bones (Crispy Chicken Ramen – $15)
- The Corner Office (Ramen – $21)
- Departure (Miso Ramen – $18)
- Katsu Ramen
- Izakaya Den
- Ototo Den
- Tycoon Ramen and Sushi
- The Ramen House
- Miyako Ra-men Spots
- Kikis Japanese Casual Dining
- Soko Sushi
- Rocky Mountain Ramen
- Sushi Den
- Sakana (Westminster)
- Sushi Zanmai (Boulder – Ramen is available only on Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30am – 2:00pm)