Some folks have been asking me how they can educate themselves about the history of anti-Asian and AAPI violence and racism and ways they can get involved at a local Denver/Colorado level. Here are some resources I recommend.
Colorado groups, organizations, training
- Free anti-racism course from CU-Boulder
- Co-taught by Professor Jennifer Ho, a teacher of Ethnic Studies
- Denver Asian American Pacific Islander Commission (DAAPIC)
- Meets every 3rd Wed of the month and meetings are open to the public (their Facebook page post updates on meetings, rallies, resources)
- Asian Avenue magazine
- Facebook page post updates on events, rallies, meetings, resources
- Community and literary publication celebrating Asian American artists and creatives, co-founded by Colorado resident Katerina Jeng
- Denver Asian Collective’s Book Club
- Dedicated space for Denver’s Asian community to celebrate and honor the Asian experience
- Denver AAPI Community calls to action
- Links to great resources and groups in the Denver/Colorado community and ways to get involved
Other US groups, organizations, training
- Stop AAIP Hate
- Coming at you from SF, they are gathering facts and information about the increase in AAIP violence.
- Welcome to Chinatown
- Based in NYC, great resource for what’s going on in the Big Apple and fundraising for NYC’s Chinatown community which has been disproportionately impacted during COVID.
- Find them on Insta as well.
- Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) in NYC
- Premiere org in the US that is collecting and documenting the experience of Chinese in America.
- They had a huge fire in Jan 2020 that destroyed a substantial portion of their irreplaceable archives – donate to their recovery!
- Asian American Federation
- Based in NYC, the largest umbrella leadership organization in New York serving diverse Asian American communities.
- They have a great, easy-to-understand Safety Resources page.)
- Pearl River Mart
- PBS documentary Asian Americans
- 5 hour doc available to stream FREE on their website
- Originally aired in May 2020
- Information about Granada War Relocation Center, where American citizens of Japanese heritage and Japanese immigrants where wrongfully imprisoned in Granada, Colorado during WWII
- CPR News article with some personal stories about anti-AAPI hatred.
- CPR News article on the history of the anti-Chinese race riot of 1880 in Denver
- Understand what’s wrong with the language/perspective of the commemorative plaque that is on 20th Street
- History Colorado Museum article “Immigration to Colorado: Myth and Reality”
- Contains a lengthy section about the lives of Chinese immigrants and their decedents in Colorado
- Rocky Mountain PBS video covering the downtown Denver anti-Chinese race riots.
- Understand why the Denver Asian American Pacific Islander Commission (DAAPIC) has been trying to provide better historical information and context about Denver’s Chinatown area (today’s LoDo)
- Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) in NYC has a video with a brief history of anti-AAPI violence in the US:
- Wyoming PBS documentary on Chinese Massacre, Main Street Wyoming:
Know of a great resource I missed? Please let me know in the comments!
- “Home” by Kyoto Takenaka – The Los Angeles-based artist includes recordings of how people have spoken to them while out in restaurants, bars, and clubs